OET Speaking Skills Do You Have To Act
To be able to get through OET Speaking Sub-Test or to get a good grade you need to have good command over English. Yes, you do not have to be a good actor. As most of the candidates believe that to be able to do well in the roleplays, they will have to act. But, it is wrong. Candidates shall not act. They shall play their role. That is it.
OET Speaking Sub-Test is very different from other types of English language tests. For instance, in your IELTS, you may have to introduce yourself and speak a little about your family, friends, or education. You will be given a topic to speak about for a few minutes. But, in the OET speaking sub-test, you are going to have roleplays. These roleplays will be based on the real healthcare scenarios. Doctors will act as doctors. Nurses will have to play their role. Similarly, physiotherapists will have to play their role. The interviewer will be acting as a patient or the client.
So, do you have to act?
Absolutely, not. You do not have to act. The test is not about how good you are at acting. But, it is all about how well you can speak. How well you can play your role.
Most of the candidates wrongly believe that they will have to act in front of the interviewer or the examiner. The better they act, the better the grade will be. But, this is not the speaking test criteria. In fact, role plays are meant to judge your English skills. OET testing committee would like to understand how professional you are when it comes to dealing with the patients, how you talk to them, how you dispel their queries, etc.
So, you need to focus on the following essential things to get the best score in your OET speaking sub-test.
- You will have to deal with the patient or the client in the way you generally deal with the patients or the clients at the workplace.
- You do not have to act. You do not mimic. You do not have to be nervous for anything.
- You do not have to think of creating a good impression on the interviewer with your talk. Speak naturally and confidently.
- You will have to show empathy towards your patience or the client.
- You shall not get angry while playing your role. As sometimes, the patient or the client may ask you some questions that you may find irrelevant or not worthy to answer. But, remember, you will have to be good at dealing with all types of such difficult situations.
- You will have to speak slowly and clearly. Be open for discussions and explanations.
- You will have to deal with the patients or the clients with all the patience. Don’t get carried away. Be calm. Be very quick on responding to the patients or the clients too.
Want to take OET? Want to prepare for the OET? Do not wait? It is time that you enroll for the OET online training at OETPractice.net.