Top Ten Tips for OET Reading
OET Reading Test appears to be the toughest component but with these simple tips, one can be sure of success. This test is a novel (new) one, this is unlike the other tests in its nature. The test aspirant has to be really quick in any given medical situation, be it an emergency one or a leisure one.
- Summarizing Sensibly: One of the most predictable of questions in the OET Reading Test is the task of Summarizing. A passage is given in clusters, and the test aspirant has to arrange it in order using his/her own intelligence. In order to excel in this take small paragraphs on any topic and rewrite it in the correct order. This passage should be profession-specific.
- Topic Identification: Even before the test aspirant begins to read the passage, the topic has to be clear in his/her own mind. In most cases the first line itself will declare the topic. In others, one has to go through at least three to four lines.
- Text Type or Content Identification: The test aspirant has to locate the type of matter used in the topic. It can be based on quality and quantity. Quality is in terms of hard core written matter, quantity is in terms of statistics, graphs, diagrams etc. Based on the topic, the aspirant has to decide which one is more suitable.
- Skim Through the Content Quickly: Since the time appears to finish fast, it is necessary to do at least two or three quick readings of the text. This is very helpful in penning down the summary in one’s own words correctly. While reading the text two things should be taken note of. One is the main idea being conveyed in the text, two is the gist of the titles and subtitles.
- Hunt For Clue Words: In any given topic, going through the clue words completes the whole paragraph and in some cases the topic itself. For instance, clue words could be the name of a person, place, thing or equipment etc.
- Careful Scanning: Scanning is to run one’s eyes through the whole piece of writing in order to locate clue words or phrases. This style is similar to the newspaper reading style. This helps in faster identification of the context of the given topic.
- Predicting the Missing Word: Based on the topic and the context in which it was written, an attempt can be made to guess the missing word. This can aid in building up vocabulary and completing the passage too.
- Keep Up To The Timeline: Since the test is time bound, the best way for effective time management would be to allocate equal time for all the questions and leave the rest for checking and rechecking of answers.
- Lastly, read up a lot of information regarding healthcare, culture, types of diseases, medication etc through print and electronic media of information.
- Keep Track of Case Studies Pertaining To The Topic: It is always advisable to read up real case studies and how it was handled role by role. Also, evaluate the conclusion and the final remarks made on the case study.
Do not wait. Get enrolled for the OET Training Online. Get prepared for the OET reading, OET Speaking, OET Writing and OET Listening Online.